6.20.2007

Wilco in concert

My buddy Tommy took me to the Wilco concert this past week...an amazing and refreshing experience. I had been working non-stop on our new location for the past 2 weeks and this was a breath of fresh air. Tommy had told me they would rock the house but it was even better than he promised. The vintage rock of Americana dazzled my ears for well over 2 hours.

Wilco's known for their experimentation with music to the point some have called them America's answer to Radiohead. I had thought it to be to my loss that although I liked their music, I knew little of their lyrics by heart. But that freed me to enjoy their show...the guitar solos, lights, synchronicity between all the band members, and the way the could climb high with heads rocking to driving deep with people sitting in wonder at what they heard. A brill ant band in every sense of the word.

During the show I found myself again amazed at the human need for enlightenment. So many of Wilco's songs decried the hopelessness of our current world and human plight but praised love and its wondrous effects. Their songs tell stories of a heart breaking and being reconstructed, of hopes dashed and then reborn. And I pondered...can the church harness the same passion these guys have for their lives although wandering as we do with the direction of Jesus?

No comments: