12.18.2007

TRANSFORMED ME :: Music

As I sat listening to one of my favorite bands, Over the Rhine, this past weekend I realized how their music and several others have transformed my perspective and appreciation of music. It wasn't like I devalued music to begin with rather I didn't really appreciate it...I simply enjoyed it.

Music moved from entertainment to a language and story told like no other art form. I became moved by these groups and their mastery. So I thought I would share a few of these bands and the songs/albums that are responsible for this shift as well as so writing about some films, TV Shows and books that have also transformed by perspective.


Transforming Music :: Over the Rhine (Good Dog, Bad Dog)

As Karen Bergquist closed the annual Christmas concert with "Latter Days" I was reminded of how moved I was by this album time after time. There were times I would simply bathe myself in the music and the profound lyrics of this song and also the entire album. I realized that music spoke to something I could simply not connect to with words or conversation.

Transforming Music :: Ennio Morricone (The Mission)

This film lands also in my transforming films...an experience that left be stunned and silent at its end. The beauty of the Amazon landscape, the brutality of the conquests and the searching for meaning and redemption by so many characters was perfectly captured by Morricone's soundtrack. When music evokes images and emotions left long ago in the theater to make them as tangible and fresh as the first time...that's transforming music. This soundtrack also gave me my long-standing love affair for instrumental music especially soundtracks.

Transforming Music :: U2 (Achtung, Baby)

I know, I know...so many refer to U2 as a transforming piece in their musical journey but there's a reason. They are astounding! I was moving out from a relatively sheltered musical life and venturing into the vast sound filled world out there, and what should I find greeting me within days...this innovative and masterful album. I remain convinced this album, if released today, would still be hailed as a defining moment in music. Listening to songs like "One", "Mysterious Ways", "The Fly", and "Ultraviolet" made me believe music can mix deep themes of spiritual significance with amazing music.

Transforming Music :: Sigur Ros ( )

My brother has played a huge part in my musical journey. Almost daring me at times to listen to music outside the box and hard to nail down genre-wise. Sigur Ros has captured the dense sense of deeply layered music and set it free with such unique sounds that it is hard right now to find the words to describe the experience. Watch one of their music videos capturing precisely the ethereal quality of Sigur Ros's music.

Other Transforming Music ::
Dave Matthews Band (Under the Table and Dreaming)
Live (Throwing Copper)
Stone Temple Pilots (Purple)
Mute Math (Self-Titled)
DC Talk (Free at Last)
David Crowder Band (All I Can Say)
Arcade Fire (Funeral)
Pearl Jam (Ten)
Radiohead (OK Computer)

I will be writing soon about some of the transforming experiences I have had with film, TV and books as well. I also love to hear some of your transforming moments...

3 comments:

Luke said...

hey, glad to know i played a role :) i actually feel like your vocation leads to more exposure to music that can transform.

for me, two quick ones that come to my mind:
GLAD: The A Cappella Project
Jeffrey Osbourne on the Wings of Love

oh, wait, sorry, those transformed (to virtually nothing) my level of appreciations for my parents love of music (even in the 80s)

Luke said...

ok, ok so for real, a few that really transformed me:

billy bragg * wilco - mermaid ave., helped to redefine, in my mind, the roots of alt-folk

weezer (self titled - 1994) - made grunge accessible, and made one of the most timeless statements in the modern rock era

johnny cash - the man comes around --- remakes, timeless power in scriptural lyrics, a swan song like none-other

Luke said...

another that may transform... and soothe, is Ladysmith Black Mambazo --- The Chillout Sessions.
It is the most acccessible, well-mixed sub-saharan African music i can recommend (and i have a lot of love for that part of the world).