7.25.2007

Death's slow hand reaches out for us all

I have lead a life relatively sheltered from the harsh and devastating blow of death's grip. Sure I have had death find me at times. I have had two of my grandparents die but I cried more for my mom's loss than mine. I had two classmates die in high school...one fell from a cliff while drunk and another was murdered but I had only distant connections with each. I have put two dogs and two cats to sleep, but they were only a night of grief before I forgot about them as I romped around with my other childhood friends the next day. For the most part my life has been free of true grief.

But death finds us all. I know that as my parents age and some other relatives begin their twlight years, death's knock is coming soon. I have several close friends that are dealing with life threatening illnesses in their families, and I see the wear and tear it causes their heart. They are heavy with the potential fog of death. It makes my own heart mourn for the place they find themselves.

And as a Christian I wonder, have I really processed what Paul talks about in the New Testament. "Death has lost its sting." Why do I still often fear it? Literally quake at its potential. I hope I continue to grow in this life and find death something I see as something like Paul, "to die is gain..." instead of the bedrock of one of my deepest fears.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Was listening to John Mayer's "Stop This Train", which touches beautifully (and powerfully) on this topic. I can't help but think of Andy (and Greg and Ben), how this song must apply to him right now.