8.05.2007

Top 10 film directors working today

I love movies. I watch them all the time...over 2300 are rated by me on my Netflix account. So I thought I would compile a little list of my favorite directors working today:

1. David Fincher (Seven, Fight Club, The Game)
2. Terrance Malick (Thin Red Line, New World, Badlands)
3. Tom Tykwer (Run Lola Run, Princess and the Warrior, Perfume)
4. Ridley Scott (Gladiator, Blackhawk Down, Bladerunner)
5. Paul Greengrass (Bloody Sunday, United 93, Bourne Ultimatum)
6. Steven Spielberg (Close Encounters, Saving Private Ryan, Jaws)
7. Christopher Nolan (Memento, Batman Begins, The Prestige)
8. Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings, Heavenly Creatures, Bad Taste)
9. Martin Scorsese (Mean Streets, Good Fellas, The Departed)
10. Darren Aronofsky (Requiem for a Dream, The Fountain, Pi)

Honorable Mention (or ones I forgot) :: Wes Anderson, Michael Mann, PT Anderson, Coen Bros, Bryan Singer, Steven Soderburg, Francis Ford Coppola

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't think I've ever seen a Terrance Malick film. That must change.

I think I'd put Steven Soderberg up there.

Ryan Hartsock said...

Soderburg is definitely good...any others you can think of?

Unknown said...

George Lucas (kidding). At one point I'd have said the Coen brothers, but I'm not so sure. What about emerging directors -- Wes Anderson, Paul Thomas Anderson?

Ryan Hartsock said...

PT Anderson and Wes Anderson for sure...oops missed them.

Matthew said...

No Singer? No Michael Mann?
Paul - watch New World for some Malick.

Ryan Hartsock said...

ouch...Michael Mann and Singer. great choices too...hard to select just 10.

Luke said...

Ok, Michael Man for sure should have been up there...
how can you not have
Francis Ford Coppola
or
Ang Lee?
good start though...