9.17.2007

Comfort the disturbed, Disturb the comfortable

Life Church's blog, Swerve, has a huge variety of content and contributors. A prayer was posted and it rattled me (with a bit of trepidation) in a good way. I work and crave comfort although the majority of growth in my life has happened when I have stepped out into the unknown were certainty and comfort are not options. I have seen the complacency comfort can bring me...a lethargy in my faith, vibrancy, creativity, parenting and relationships.

Four Corners is about to have "Invite a Friend" Sunday and for some reason I'm uncomfortable inviting my neighbors. But I have the feeling, regardless of the outcome, the discomforting step will be good for all. I will step past the "ease" of what Robert Frost once described as "...good fences make good neighbors..." philosophy of most surburbia and disturb the norm a bit.

So regardless of where we are on our journey...think about taking some deliberate time to make yourself a bit uncomfortable. And take some time with me and say this prayer:


May God bless you with discomfort at easy answers, half truths, and superficial relationships, so that you may live deep within your heart.

May God bless you with anger at injustice, oppression, and exploitation of people, so that you may work for justice, freedom and peace.

May God bless you with tears to shed for those who suffer from pain, rejection, starvation, and war, so that you may reach out your hand to comfort them and to turn their pain in to joy.

And may God bless you with enough foolishness to believe that you can make a difference in this world, so that you can do what others claim cannot be done. (A Franciscan Benediction)

(Thanks Kem Meyer for the heads up)

2 comments:

Luke said...

this is equally as challenging and in the same vein so here you go:
GHANDI's 7 Deadly Sins:

"Wealth Without Work

Pleasure Without Conscience

Knowledge Without Character

Commerce (Business) Without Morality (Ethics)

Science Without Humanity

Religion Without Sacrifice

Politics Without Principle"

Ryan Hartsock said...

Great stuff, Luke. Thanks.