11.27.2007

Listening to the other voice

I have tried to start up a routine after letting lay dormant in a strange imposed hibernation. If I am to grow as a leader, father, husband, friend and person then discipline is not my enemy. Discipline creates margin for me to operate freely in. Discipline creates time to reflect and learn from my many failures and few successes. And in my new routine I am trying to be far more intentional in reading from both Scripture and spiritual "giants" such as Tozer, Lewis, Chesterton and Kierkegaard.

In today's reading, CS Lewis talks about hearing the other voice:

"The real problem of the Christian life comes where people do not usually look for it. It comes the very moment you wake up each morning. All your wishes and hopes for the day rush at you like wild animals. And the first job each morning consists simply of shoving them all back; in listening to that other voice, taking that other point of view, letting the larger, stronger, quieter life come flowing in. And so on, all day. Stand back from all your natural fussings and frettings; come in out of the wind."

- CS Lewis

No comments: