3.12.2008

David Mamet: "No longer a brain dead liberal..."

If you are interested in politics or even the current discourse in America about the role and scope government should play in our lives, STOP right now and read Mamet's article. If you need to be convinced why this debate (either liberal, independent or conservative) is important...read below for a snippet.

David Mamet, acclaimed writer and director of both stage and screen, wrote an intriguing piece for the Village Voice. As I read the article and have witnessed lately, the art of true debate without breaking down into heated rhetoric between the conservative and liberal is lost. Maybe those days may come again...this is definitely worth a read. Here's a sample:

"What about the role of government? Well, in the abstract, coming from my time and background, I thought it was a rather good thing, but tallying up the ledger in those things which affect me and in those things I observe, I am hard-pressed to see an instance where the intervention of the government led to much beyond sorrow.

But if the government is not to intervene, how will we, mere human beings, work it all out?

I wondered and read, and it occurred to me that I knew the answer, and here it is: We just seem to. How do I know? From experience. I referred to my own—take away the director from the staged play and what do you get? Usually a diminution of strife, a shorter rehearsal period, and a better production." (read the rest HERE)

1 comment:

John Doraemi said...

Mamet’s “great essay” is full of convoluted half truths, ignorance, and several lies.

Hollywood’s Newest Neo-Con: David Mamet Chugs the Kool-Aid