6.16.2008

Father's Day and my sons

As I write this I find myself reflective of the small moments of yesterday and even this morning. I was at the church until 2:30pm and came home wiped out. (BTW...some men enjoyed the 6lbs fillet migon steaks they won in our first ever Man Bingo with the likes of Chuck Norris and Tiger Woods) I walked in the door and not 30 seconds later one of my son runs in from the backyard begging me to come play in the water. I trudge upstairs half-heartedly, looking at my bed and dreaming of the napping that will NOT be occurring, put on my swimsuit (depressing a bit since my metabolism has slowed considerably since I was younger) and went outside.

Needless to say, it was a great time. Nolan laughed and couldn't stop talking about our time out there for the rest of the night. He "made" me ride the bouncy water slide, which I flipped over and about broke my neck on...all the while he's laughing, of course. Then Jill's family came over for steak...good times. At dinner Jill asked Nolan, "What do you like most about daddy?" To which he replied, "That he plays water with me!" I couldn't help but smile ear to ear.

Then as I woke this morning and watched Luke Russert talk on the "Today Show" about the tragic and sudden death of his father, I was struck by his deep and welling love of his dad. His dad had told him and shown him absolute love and strength, and it was that strength which made it possible for Luke to move through his grief and talk with great clarity about his dad. I went upstairs to finish getting to go to the office and saw Nolan getting out of bed. I went to him and helped him change and told him I loved him. Then Soren stirred and I grabbed him from his crib with a huge kiss to the forehead...Father's Day was one to remember!

No comments: