7.01.2008

Not going to upgrade to new iPhone...not going to be a celluar share cropper!

I bought an iPhone 1.0 at Christmas and had dreams of possibly upgrading this summer to the new 2.0 version with its sweet new features but that won't be happening.

Why you ask? It happens to be that I will have to sign a BRAND NEW 2-year contract regardless of how far into my CURRENT 2-year contract I am. AT&T tells me this is so because the phone is a subsidized or discounted price. So I ask...can I simply upgrade by paying more for a new iPhone? Silly me, of course not...that's not an option.

Boo Apple...Boo AT&T!! The answer to increasing demand and sustainable loyalty to the iPhone is not to get your customers perpetually "enslaved" to you by signing new contracts any time they want to upgrade. Basically I would become a celluar share cropper...never really owning my phone completely. This is very frustrating for a very loyal Apple customer and supporter.

4 comments:

Eric King said...

If Apple partnered with Verizon, I would probably have an iPhone already. I've been with Verizon for years, and every experience I've had with their customer service, both over the phone and in stores, has been exceptional.

Reverb said...

I want one of those things so stinking bad. I've got about a $400 Treo and it's just not cool enough. Plus, to be SuperPastor I need the latest greatest right?

Dan Edelmann said...

They are going to release the iphone for purchase without a contract and for use on other networks. i believe its going to be $599 or $699, 8gig or 16gig. This "factory unlocked" iphone will come out later than the initial release.

wiseacredesign said...

I wonder if it can be like a "lease swap", where if sell the phone, you sell the plan to the person as well, thus recouping the remaining investment in the contract?