3.03.2007

Has LOST lost it?

It’s not that it is bad but it is certainly no longer amazing…it’s better than most but not on the leading edge anymore. I have been watching “Heroes” and “Battlestar Galatica” this year and they have consistently amazed me. For example, this past week’s “Heroes” may have been one of the better hours of TV I have seen. It was compelling, emotional and it revealed critical answers to long asked questions. And maybe that’s what LOST lacks…a compelling hour that truly reveals answers to the many complex questions. The danger of a complex mythological narrative is getting lost in its own mythology. As a good friend said, this show may go where “Desperate Housewives” went this season for me…unwatched. We'll just have to see.

2 comments:

Ryan Hartsock said...

Some of the writers on the team of "Heroes" are ex-Lost staff so I'm sure they have learned from that experience.

Doug said...

I think you guys are right. Lost is no longer quite as exciting as it used to be. It sounds like they are having a tough time with how to play everything out, without having an end date for the series. That's probably why we end up with the sometimes uninteresting "filler" episodes like the past two. Every time I start to get a little bored with Lost, though, they do something crazy that gets me hooked again - I hope that happens this week!

Heroes is definitely than Lost in that it dishes out the answers a lot faster, which makes it great to watch. I did just recently read that the Heroes series is going to model more after 24 than Lost, and have distinct seasons that get wrapped up at the end. I think that really helps move things along and keep the interest up.