3.08.2007

We will fight in the shade...

As I posted earlier this week, I went to a sneak peek of "300" with a group of guys. All I can say is WOW! The film was a violent and visceral masterpiece...a rich story of honor, history, and valor. The Spartans were the perfectly honed fighting machine.

If you haven't read of the vast technical achievements of the film make sure you read about it HERE. I have never ceased to be amazed at the complexity and artistry of film.

The film achieved a look throughout that not only enhanced the feel of the film but transported you back to the battlefield awash in coppery tones. The story itself was simple but yet compelling.

A quick tangent...I have found myself pulled much more by themes of fatherly valor and defending ones family since having kids. Seems obvious but I thought worth mentioning.

The Spartan King Leonidas is a charismatic leader bringing his sparse force of only 300 against the hordes of Xerxes (a strange androgoneous giant who reminded me of the guy from the 'Crying Game'). One of the bloodiest films I have seen but makes you wonder about the art of war and how we fight now. There is some strange honor in the idea of death at the actual hands of an enemy there to pillage and rape your land and now the bombs and missiles fired from continents away.

I'm going to see it again on Saturday at the IMAX...looking forward to a repeat viewing.

No comments: