3.03.2007

Music this week [part 1]

Some days I spend time just wandering the iTunes store...following the trail of "Listeners also bought". The other day I stumbled on a whole crowd of new artists but find it frustrating that I can't save my "favorites" anywhere for future download.

I think I will start a weekly column of sorts with music I have found refreshing or enjoyable or meaningful in some way...and you can explore with me if you like. Here are a few of the artists I have perused lately:

Ray LaMontagne :: Till the Sun turns Black
Thank you, Paul Armstrong for the introduction. A mix of jazz and husky melancholy lyrics slowly trickle from this album to create a beautiful treat.
[if you want a sample, download these] Be Here Now, Can I Stay

Stars of Track + Field :: Centuries Before Love and War
Downright amazing and beautiful. Sweeping in scope and addictive to listen to...I listen to "Movies of Antarctica" over and over.
[if you want a sample, download these] Movies of Antarctica, Lullaby for a GI

Explosions in the Clouds :: The Earth is not a Cold Dead Place
This is a band I find myself meditating too...just sitting inside the musical genius of their guitars. Rarely has instrumental music been so good. These guys were also the entire soundtrack (along with Brian Eno) for the film "Friday Night Lights".
[if you want a sample, download these] Your hand in mine, Memorial

Borne :: Loss of Signal
A free iTunes download a few weeks ago that sounds like a Coldplay with a twist.
[if you want a sample download these] The Guide, Don't Go Now

Pilot Speed :: Into the West
They call them an American U2 meets Radiohead with that epic sound. These days it's seems hard not to get that comparison but these guys are enjoyable nonetheless.
[if you want a sample, download these] Into your hideout, Barely listening


So that's this week's round up...see you next week with some more musical musings.

1 comment:

Kevin D. Hendricks said...

Nice recommendations! I'm going to have to check out Pilot Speed and Stars of Track and Field.