4.09.2007

Triple Shot, Non-Fat, Half-Caf Manifesto

I make no secret about my love of Starbucks and the experience it helped spawn...the new third place. About a month ago Howard Schultz (the CEO of Starbucks) had a memo "leak" and the Wall Street Journal reported on it. Starbucks was slipping and they knew it...you can't stay on top forever. He knew the brand was in danger of commoditization.

There's an extensive Manifesto online right now by a Starbucks marketer about how Starbucks can evolve and meet this challenge head on. It is lengthy but contains some interesting ideas...

2 comments:

Sheila West said...

I love Starbuck's. I have a fantasy of owning one some day. And I don't give a rip about losing the toasting or losing the former espresso machines. It's still a darned good cup of coffee and a way cool atmosphere. I do most of my writing at Starbuck's and my writing would probably cease to flow if it shut down.

Ryan Hartsock said...

I hear you Sheila...there is something about that place that I find calming and inspirational at the same time.