4.11.2007

We copied culture and called it good...

A fire burns in my belly for the church to embrace its creative side. I'm tired of the Christian world being a known for either fluffy or crappy artwork. I have seen the whole gamut but as I work toward creating original pieces that both communicate and provoke...copying culture seems a sin. Like pasting my head on a bodybuilder and sending it to my relatives to boast how exercise has worked for me...I have taken someone else's work and tried to pander it as my own.

I help administer a Flickr Lab for Church Marketing Sucks and there is a lengthy but worthwhile discussion about this very topic. The very volume of responses in the strand shows this subject to be a hot button issue...

Are we cheapening the message of Jesus by simply modifying cultural icons and slapping Christian platitudes on them? "Extreme Home Makeover: Marriage Edition"..."CSI: The Mystery of Easter"..."Desperate Houselives". I hang my head when I see these...we are better than this, aren't we?

2 comments:

Matthew said...

Maybe the fire in your belly is that chipotle burrito you ate...

Seriously, in a word, the answer to your question IMHO is "yes".

The problem I have had with most things churchy/marketing/CCM culture, etc, is the tendency to be reactive to pop culture and trying to throw a Christian spin on it. Not much original, not much actual creating going on; it is more of a "modifying" if you ask me.

Ryan Hartsock said...

It's like plagarizing...but we call it OK because it's for God.