4.21.2008

The Child-Man is rendering young men impotent?

A fascinating article in the "City Journal" by Kay Hymowitz sheds light on this disturbing trend of men (if they can be called that) stalling their development as a man until early 30's...the literal putting off of becoming a man in exchange for every self-absorbent desire imaginable matched with a complete lack of depth in almost every relationship.

Do I sound too irritated at this trend? If so, I am. When a culture puts its selfish desires ahead of all else it is only a matter of time before the core rots away...or as CS Lewis put it, "the soul shrinks and shrinks". It's the modern day hell on earth if you ask me...the idea that somehow the best years of our lives happened between 16-20 years old and the rest is downhill from there. If that's so, pass me the Zoloft.

The most disturbing part of it is the consequences this will have on families and faith communities. I watch how much my boys watch my every action and word...the influence I have without even noticing it many times is humbling and immense. In a faith community so many times, it is the wife or girlfriend that brings the grumbling man to church because she desires their relationship or parenting to have a source of authority and purpose. He sits there through the service waiting to head home to mow the lawn on his new John Deere, watch Nascar with his drinking buddies, or play hours of video games online. I may be over-generalizing but I think this is a critical issue.

No comments: