4.21.2008

READ THIS: Parent's Tension List...brillant stuff

We just finished an amazing series called "Align" at Four Corners. Not only was the church as a whole moved but my family has been deeply stirred. Although there are a lot of insightful things talked about this list from Ben hit me. I feel this tension everyday as I raise my boys...wanting so badly to be a great dad and a great example in every way. This list summed it up for me...what I want for my kids:

  • I want my kids to buy into what is right; not simply know what is wrong.
  • I want my kids to make intentional choices; not simply go with the flow.
  • I want my kids to see themselves as God sees them; not simply by the label that sticks (smart, athletic, tall, fat, etc.).
  • I want my kids to love the truth; not simply avoid lies.
  • I want my kids to take responsibility; not simply take the easiest path.
  • I want my kids to move out when they are older; not simply hang around home.
  • I want my kids to respect me; not simply obey me.
  • I want my kids to think reflectively; not simply parrot back my answers to life questions.
  • I want my kids to own their faith; not simply mimic mine.
  • I want my kids to become learners and critical thinkers; not simply straight ‘A’ students.
  • I want my kids to choose friends; not simply become friends with those in close proximity with them.
  • I want my kids to love people; not simple avoid conflict or be nice.
  • I want my kids to take joy in healthy sexuality within boundaries; not simply “not go too far.”
  • I want my kids to respect authority; not simply avoid getting caught.
  • I want my kids to love church; not simply go without complaining too much.
  • I want my kids to follow Jesus; not simply avoid sin.
  • I want my kids to share the message of Jesus; not simply isolate from the world.
  • I want my kids to have a healthy marriage; not simply a great wedding.
  • I want my kids to give back; not simply take.
  • I want my kids to be passionate engagers of the vocation God calls them to; not simply sell out to the most dollars.
  • I want my kids to be generous; not simply do their fair share.
  • I want my kids to love growing and developing; not simply arrive.

No comments: