4.04.2008

Musical Nostalgia

Jill and I sat down at iTunes and started just listening to the volumes of music I have...3753 songs to be exact. We laughed and even cried at some of the songs we heard. Music is such a powerful force that taps something deep within us. Memories that have laid dormant for years suddenly jump to life with such vitality my emotions are surprised and I can't help but have a visceral reaction.

Jennifer Knapp's "Martyrs and Thieves" makes me get teary as I remember being thousands of miles away from Jill as we wrestled with our relationship. Should she move to Georgia ? Should we get married?

Bob Marley's "Three Little Birds" reminds me of the sunny Spring days at Miami University throwing frisbees...emerging from hibernation of the winter with speakers propped on window ledges and laughter echoing.

Live's "Selling the Drama" has memories of freshmen year at college where my musical wings expanded and new tastes came into being. I fell in love with so many of the perfect "college" bands...Dave Matthews, Jackopierce, The Samples, Vertical Horizon, Rusted Root, Guster, Over the Rhine, Indigo Girls and so many more.

It was a fun meander down memory lane...now back to the Beastie Boys, Jane's Addiction and Metallica.

No comments: