4.23.2008

Do you worship work?

I have said this a few times on this blog but it's worth saying over and over. Oswald Chambers is the man...his perspective always challenges me to view this life just slightly different and shakes me when I'm settling too much. Here's something that hit me today in "My Utmost for His Highest".

"Beware of any work for God that causes or allows you to avoid concentrating on Him. A great number of Christian workers worship their work. The only concern of Christian workers should be their concentration on God. This will mean that all the other boundaries of life, whether they are mental, moral, or spiritual limits, are completely free with the freedom God gives His child; that is, a worshiping child, not a wayward one. A worker who lacks this serious controlling emphasis of concentration on God is apt to become overly burdened by his work. He is a slave to his own limits, having no freedom of his body, mind, or spirit. Consequently, he becomes burned out and defeated. There is no freedom and no delight in life at all. His nerves, mind, and heart are so overwhelmed that God’s blessing cannot rest on him.

But the opposite case is equally true--once our concentration is on God, all the limits of our life are free and under the control and mastery of God alone. There is no longer any responsibility on you for the work. The only responsibility you have is to stay in living constant touch with God..."

This is an issue I wrestle with constantly. I strongly identify myself with my work, especially creative projects I invest a lot in and this leaves me open for peaks and valleys. And although if you ask me about where my focus lies as a "pastor"...I would never want to admit to the extent that my intense focus could actually me called a form of worship. My prayer is to maintain my "constant touch" with God to an extent to bring true freedom in my work.

No comments: